The Town of Prescott's waste contractor collects solid waste (garbage), and recycling at the curb once a week. Weekly recycling collection alternates between fibre/paper and mixed containers. The Municipal compost and yard waste site hours and fees, can be found below.
Limerick Environmental Services Ltd., the waste management contractor, is responsible for curbside collection, including solid waste and recycling.
If you would like to receive more information on waste and recycling collection or have experienced an issue with your curbside collection, please contact (613)925-2812, Ext. 6219 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW Garbage Tag System:
In the coming weeks, residents can expect to see tags being sold at participating businesses including Town Hall. Tags will be sold for $1.50 each or $15.00 for a sheet of ten (10). The blue municipal town bags will continue to be picked up along with tagged bags until the bag supply has been exhausted. Key information for garbage tags, can be found below.
Waste & Waste Diversion Services
The Town invites residents, community groups, schools and businesses to spend 30 minutes picking up litter and recycling that’s accumulated in local parks and other public areas over the winter. Let's do our part by working together to help keep our Town clean and green!
Join us on Saturday April 23, 2022 from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm for the Town’s annual spring cleanup.
Stop in and see us at 99 St. Lawrence Street, Centennial Park (east entrance) to pickup your cleanup day kit.
The Town of Prescott collects compost, brush, branches, leaves and other yard waste on the last Wednesday of the month from April through to November. Weather conditions and high volumes of waste can spread curbside collection over several days.
2022 Curbside Yard Waste Collection Dates:
- April 27
- May 25
- June 29
- July 27
- August 31
- September 28
- October 26
- November 30
Yard waste must be placed in paper bags; plastic bags no longer accepted for curbside pickup. This will greatly reduce the amount of plastic entering the compost site, and the hours of staff time cutting and emptying the bags.
We appreciate your understanding and thank you in advance for your cooperation.
COM2 Recycling Solutions Canada presents Electronic Waste Cleanup for residents of the Town of Prescott!
Electronics should never be put in the recycling or garbage. COM2 collects unwanted electronics for free to ensure they are disposed of safely, recycled and kept out of landfill.
COM2 will be collecting Electronic Waste at the Leo Boivin Community Centre parking lot, located at 444 Prince Street on the following dates:
- Monday March 21, 2022 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Monday May 16, 2022 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Monday July 25, 2022 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Monday September 19, 2022 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
Protect your privacy: The Town is not responsible for personal information contained on your electronic devices. Clear all personal information from computers, cell phones and other electronics prior to drop-off (wipe your drives/clear your SIM cards).
Items Accepted as Electronic Waste
Items include information technology, telecommunications and audio-visual equipment that have a primary purpose of collecting, storing, processing, presenting or communicating information, including sounds and images, recording or reproducing sounds and images. Batteries supplied with the equipment are also accepted.
Display Devices: Televisions, monitors, E-readers
Telephones & Accessories: Corded and cordless phones (with electrical base stations), telephone answering machines, cell phones, headsets and hands-free accessories
Computers & Accessories: Desktop computers, portable computers (e.g. laptops, tablets, notebooks), keyboards, mice, cables, webcams, hard drives, USB flash drives/sticks etc.
Printing, Copying & Scanning Equipment: Printers, including printer cartridges, scanners, fax machines, photocopiers
Stationary & Portable Audio/Video Systems: Stereos, radios, tuners, turntables, record, cassette players, speakers, amplifiers, receivers, CD, VCR, DVD, Blu-ray, PVR players/recorders, digital media (e.g. MP3) players, docking stations for portable digital players, speakers, audio and/or voice recorders, headphones and microphones (wired and wireless), projectors (e.g. digital, multimedia, video), video game consoles, handheld video game systems, baby monitors and receivers
Other: Cameras (e.g. digital, video, single-use disposable, security), calculators, smart watches, smart glasses, Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers and components, drones with audio or visual recording equipment, peripherals and cables used to support the function of information technology, telecommunications and audio-visual equipment (e.g. charging equipment, remote controls), parts of information technology, telecommunications and audio-visual equipment sold separately (e.g. hard drives, modems, routers), handheld point-of-sale terminals or devices
The Town of Prescott has a residential waste collection program. The Town's designated waste contractor will collect only waste in approved blue municipal bags along with tagged bags until the bag supply has been exhausted. Curbside collection occurs each Tuesday at 7:00 am, with possible changes to the schedule for statutory holidays.
Key Information for Garbage Tags:
- Ensure the tag is visible and not damaged
- $1.50 per tag or $15.00 for a sheet of 10 tags
- Use one (1) tag for each waste bag (no limit)
- Ensure your waste bag is durable and secure, not ripped or overflowing
- Preferred bag size 90 L (Large 30 x 33 in) or a maximum of 135 L (X-Large 31 x 42 in)
- Any colour of bag accepted; Black, clear, white
- Maximum bag weight 44 lbs/20 kg
- Tagged waste bags placed inside containers will be collected
HOW TO ATTACH THE TAG TO THE WASTE BAG:
- Secure the top of your bag with a twist tie or knot
- Attach the tag above the knot
- Ensure the tag has adhesive ends pressed tightly together
Garbage tags may be purchased at the following locations:
- Town Hall, 360 Dibble Street East
- Beach Home Hardware, 199 Irvine Street
- Canadian Tire, 140 Prescott Centre Drive
- Giant Tiger, 936 Edward Street North
- O'Reilly's Your Independent Grocer, 150 Prescott Centre Drive
- Mr. Gas, 152 King Street East
- Your Family Dollar, 109 Churchill Road East
- Prescott Smoke Shop, 108 Park Street East
- Shoppers Drug Mart, 231 King Street West
- Seaway Valley Pharmacy, 254 King Street West
- Dollar Bazaar, 253 King Street West
- MacEwen Gas, 965 Edward Street North
Note: Businesses, industries, and institutions are responsible for the disposal of their own solid waste and recycling.
Garbage Collection Safety Tips
- Keep it light. Each garbage bag must not weigh more than 20 kg (44 lb).
- Ensure waste is accessible. Always place waste containers on level ground and as close to the street as possible. In the winter, clear a spot for your garbage that is free of snow and easy for collection workers to see. Never place waste on top of or behind snowbanks.
- Box broken glass. Broken glass, small mirrors, cracked dishes and knives must be taped in a cardboard box labeled “BROKEN GLASS” before placing at the curb.
- No needles. Never put needles or other medical waste in your recycling bin or garbage. Safely dispose of these items at a participating pharmacy.
- Properly dispose of household hazardous waste. Propane cylinders/tanks, batteries, flurorescent light bulbs/tubes and chemicals should never be disposed of in your recycling bin or garbage. More information can be found under the Hazardous Waste section or here: https://www.leedsgrenville.com/en/government/household-hazardous-waste.aspx
- Park off the street. If possible, park off the street on your waste collection day. If you are unable to move your car off the street, ensure it is at least 1 m (3 ft) away from any waste bags/containers set out for collection.
Household Hazardous Waste Day is run by the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville. Residents of Leeds and Grenville, including the Town of Prescott can drop off household hazardous waste free of charge.
More information can be found here: https://www.leedsgrenville.com/en/government/household-hazardous-waste.aspx
Tentative Dates and Locations for 2022
July 9, 2022 - 8:30 am to 2:00 pm
- Lombardy Fair Grounds, 6 Kelly Road, Lombardy
August 20, 2022 - 8:30 am to 2:00 pm
- North Leeds County Patrol Garage, 331 County Road 29, North of Frankville
- South Leeds County Patrol Garage, 2714 Outlet Road, Lansdowne, north of Lansdowne * Location TBC
September 17, 2022 - 8:30 am to 2:00 pm
- Spencerville Fair Grounds, Goodin Road Entrance, Spencerville (North end of Fairgrounds)
- North Grenville County Patrol garage, 720, County Road 44, Kemptville, south of Kemptville
- Corrosive Batteries, drain cleaners, oven cleaners
- Pesticides, rat poison, pharmaceuticals, cleaning fluids
- Pool chemicals, ammonia, bleach, aerosols
- Gasoline, paints, BBQ starter, oils, solvents, propane cylinders
- Electronics, appliances, tires, explosives, PCB contaminated wastes and radioactive wastes will not be accepted
- Commercial and industrial waste will not be accepted
- Bring your waste in its original container; DO NOT MIX IT.
- Waste will only be accepted from residents of Leeds and Grenville, Gananoque and Prescott.
- Waste from other municipalities including the City of Brockville will not be accepted.
For additional questions, please call (613)342-3840, Ext. 2413.
The Town of Prescott does not have a landfill site. The Ed Yandeau Operations Centre (Public Works Building) does not accept any kind of fill.
Residents are encouraged to contact Waste Management (Now WM), who serve the United Counties of Leeds & Grenville, for any inquiries or disposal needs.
Transfer Station: Waste Management (Now WM) - Brockville Hauling & Transfer Station
Location: 1380 California Avenue, Brockville
Hours of Operation:
OPEN Monday to Friday - 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
OPEN Saturday - 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
(Closed on all statutory holidays)
Large Item Pick-Up will now occur 3 times a year; all registered items will be picked up on the second Wednesday of every month in April, July, and October. Items must be registered no later than the Monday before each collection date and placed on the curbside before 7:00 a.m. There will be NO LIMIT for the number of items per household.
- April 13, 2022
- July 13, 2022
- October 12, 2022
Green Items $10 per item: Furniture including household items such a lamps, tables, chairs, sofas, dressers, etc.
Orange Items $20 per item: Mattress and box springs.
Blue Items $15 per item: Stoves, washing machines, dryers, furnaces, hot water tanks, microwaves, sinks, bathtubs, water softeners, water heaters, barbecues and any other items deemed eligible.
Red Items $65 per item: All freon supplied household items including fridges, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, and any other freon-use items.
White Items NO CHARGE: Tires and rims, and e-waste: computers, computer accessories, laptops, monitors, stereos, disk players, fax machines, televisions, DVD and VCR players, telephones and all other electronic items deemed eligible.
Important Changes Due to COVID-19: Physical tags will no longer be required due to COVID-19. All items must still be registered, paid for and placed at the curb, same day of collection by 7:00 am prior to pick-up.
Registration may be processed in person at the Municipal Building, or by calling (613)925-2812, Ext. 6200 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. For payments processed over the telephone, no data is recorded or stored.
The last days to register your items are Monday, April 11, 2022; Monday, July 11, 2022; Thursday, October 6, 2022.
Located north of the Ed Yandeau Operations Centre, 950 Sophia Street
Opening Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2022
Hours of Operation:
OPEN Tuesday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
OPEN Thursday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
OPEN Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
CLOSED Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday
Yard waste accepted at the Compost Site:
- Grass clippings,
- plant remains,
- wood chippings,
- branches under 6" wide,
Effective May 2020, commercial compost waste (hired contractors or local businesses) can enter the site with purchase of a Commercial Pass. Passes can only be purchased at the Municipal Building between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. No cash or cheques are accepted at the compost site.
- 5 load punch pass - Cost is $75.00 (tax included)
- Unlimited annual pass - $250.00 (tax included)
Enforceable under By-Law #51-90. Maximum fine for illegal dumping is $5000.
Please note, no plastics may be left at the compost site. Any items contained in plastic must be emptied by the resident, and the plastic disposed of off-site. Leaves bagged in plastic and plastic pots are to be emptied by the resident, and then placed back in vehicle before leaving.
- Address (Town of Prescott residents only - proof of residency may be required)
- Vehicle plate number
- What they are bringing in
Recycling is collected at the curb on Thursdays at 7:00 a.m. with alternating weeks of fibre/paper and mixed containers. Please refer to our Waste & Recycling Collection Calendar for details. All items must be placed at the curb in a recycling bin or container. Any bin is acceptable as a container to hold recyclable items.
Do not bag recyclables; If you put your recyclables altogether in a bag, the collection team can't see what is in them.
A guide on recyclable materials can be viewed above - Re-Think Recycling.
Residents are invited to place unwanted, gently used items at the curb for other residents to take for their own use, free of charge. This is a great opportunity to give unwanted items a new home while keeping them out of landfill sites.
Treasure Day takes place on Saturday May 28, 2022 from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
How to participate in Treasure Day:
- Place unwanted, gently used items at the curb in front of your home starting at 8:00 am on Saturday
- ALL items (or boxes of items) must be clearly labelled with a FREE sign
- Unclaimed items must be removed from the curb by 6:00 pm on Saturday evening. If items are left at the curb after Treasure Day is over, it could result in a by-law violation
- Only put out items that are still in good condition for re-use or able to be repaired
- ANY ITEM THAT CAN POSE A DANGER to another person must NOT be left at the curb
- Safety equipment such as car seats and helmets should NOT be reused/given away
- Put away items you DO NOT want to give away (such as bicycles and sports nets) to avoid confusion
- Please keep sidewalks and fire hydrants clear