Prior to submitting any applications, the Building Department suggests scheduling an appointment with the Town's Chief Building Official, Shawn Merriman. The CBO can assist in the application process and can confirm which information, drawings, and plans are needed to complete the application and if the project meets the Town's building and zoning requirements.
Complete applications are processed within 60 days of being received. To schedule an appointment or for status updates on Building Permit Applications, please contact the Administrative Assistant of Building & By-Law at 613-925-2812 x 6200.
Notices of Public Hearings:
Severance Application - SEV2022-002 - Churchill Road West and west of Edward Street
Minor Variance Application - MV2022-03 - southeast side of the intersections of Edward Street and Prescott Centre Drive
For more information regarding the services offered by the Building Department, please click on the tabs below:
Frequently Asked Questions
A building permit is a document issued by The Town of Prescott Building Department to enforce Ontario's Building Code in our area. A building permit is necessary when you wish to construct, renovate, demolish or change the use of a building.
Building permits allow The Town of Prescott to protect the interests of both individuals and the community. By reviewing and approving building permit applications before any work is done, the Town can ensure that buildings comply with:
1) The Building Code, which sets standards for the design and construction of buildings to meet objectives such as health, safety, fire protection, accessibility, and resource conservation.
2) The local zoning by-law and other planning controls on buildings and residences.
3) Other applicable legislation, including conservation authority approvals, Heritage approvals, and certain requirements under the Environmental Protection Act.
You must obtain a building permit before you:
- Construct a new building
- Demolish or remove all, or a portion of a building
- Excavate or construct a foundation
- Construct an addition to an existing building, such as second or third storey additions, attached garages, carports, sunrooms, solariums, porches, decks
- Make structural or material alterations, such as adding or removing walls (i.e., changing room sizes and/or uses), new windows or doors where there were none before, enlarging or relocating existing windows or doors, moving or updating plumbing and/or electrical (i.e. kitchen/bathroom renovation)
- Construct an accessory structure larger than 10 square metres* (108 square feet) in area, such as a detached garage, workshop, garden shed, carport, pool house or cabana
- Install or reconstruct a chimney or fireplace
- Install a pool and/or fence
- Change a building's use (i.e. from residential to office or single dwelling unit house to multi-dwelling unit house). Even if no construction is proposed, if a change of use is proposed a building permit is required
Every owner of a vacant building or vacant unit must register the vacancy with the Town of Prescott within 180 days of the building or unit commences to be vacant and renew the registration each year. It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that the property complies with all applicable statutes, regulations, and Municipal By-laws.
- Vacant Building Registry By-Law No. 46-2021
- Vacant Building Registration application
Vacant Building Renewal Application (if different than reg. application)
- Building Permit Application - New Home/ Industrial/ Commercial
- Building Permit Application - Demolition, Renovations, Additions, Garage, Shed or Deck
- Pool Application
- Fence Application
- Sign Application
- Fee Schedule "A" - By-Law 2013-05
- Zoning By-law Amendment - Fee $1,500.00
- Official Plan Amendment - Fee $2,000.00
- Minor Variance - Fee $500.00
- Site Plan Application - Fee $750.00 (minor development)
- Site Plan Application - Fee $1,500.00 (major development)
- Consent Severance
The Zoning By-law affects all lands within the Town of Prescott. Any new development or redevelopment must comply with the requirements of the By-law before a building permit can be issued. Applicants are encouraged to pre-consult with the Town on how the zoning requirements apply.
Chief Building Official
Town of Prescott
360 Dibble Street West
Phone: 613-925-2812 X 6206
Send an Email
Map this Location